GREENING 1 BILLION HECTARES OF DEGRADED GRASSLANDS
Restoring these lands to their natural capability is the key to vast scale carbon sequestration, water retention, food production and resilience to climate change. This will be addressed by the Future Ready Now project in a collaborative way, incubating the approach through tangible prototypes during World Expo 2015 in Milan, extending to Expo 2020 in Dubai. Endorsed by the UNCCD and leveraging The World Expo Future Ready Now will be engaging the diverse countries present in exploring the possibilities…
One region at a Time! Savory.Global, Cloudburst Foundation, Aurora Impact
What if companies and all people could fully value the sustainable qualities of the landscapes that produced the raw materials for the apparel and food they consume? A way that provides water and climate resilience to communities and cities?
What if pensions, endowments and foundations could fulfil their governing charters of trust with the proven reliable equity payback method of the cash flow waterfall commonly used in Real Estate, which can be easily adapted for land restoration and evergreen enterprises?
The objective is to find solutions for effectively and profitably regenerating green 1 billion hectares of grasslands by 2025 (stretch goal).
- Restoring land is the single largest clean energy source via photosynthesis.
- The major means to improve water retention
- To draw down atmospheric carbon.
- Indispensable to grow food, fibres and store water to address world needs.
- Create investable assets with adequate returns for long term capital.
- Achieve results in compressed time frames.
INCUBATION LAB EVENT
The first work session will take place September 19 to 22 at World Expo in Milan. The Founders group coming together will craft the platform to execute this systemic scale project. Key players from different organizations and industries from around the world are coming to together and will take part in a remarkable collaboration that will have a dramatic impact on the future of our planet. They will use the most advanced collaboration and co-design process; the most experienced facilitation team; the solid experience of extraordinary leaders implementing in hubs worldwide and partners and key relationships to make the shift.
Our protagonists will discover and explore:
- The importance of the world’s grasslands their beauty and fragility, and their importance in terms of food production, the economy and the environment. Ultimately, the only wealth that can sustain any community, economy or nation is derived from the photosynthetic process—green plants growing on regenerating soil. Grasslands cover one third of the world’s surface and 70% of that grassland is now degraded. The loss of grasslands is leading to climate change, floods, drought, famine and worldwide poverty.
- The long-term benefits for their own and other organizations of initiatives that result in the restoration of land, in substantial return on investment, and at the same time transform vital ecosystems, stimulate economies and relieve poverty and starvation around the world.
- The different points of view and perspectives of others in the group, the resolution of differences, and the emergence and the co-creation of solutions that can carry the project forward – and at the same time, fulfil the objectives and needs of each contributing organization.
- We witness them rigorously testing of ideas and strategies so that obstacles can be identified and addressed and a vision and plan created against which everyone is confident to make commitments and begin implementation.
- The discovery of a feeling of hope for the future The process that will result in the regeneration of one billion hectares of grassland will not only transformed the economies and ecosystems around the world, it will also profoundly impacted the lives of the individuals who were lucky enough to have been involved in this remarkable adventure.